Back pain afflicts up to 80 percent of the U.S. population at one time or another. This problem can be so debilitating that you may be willing to do almost anything to achieve back pain relief, including risk major surgery. But before you go to that extreme, you should know that our chiropractor in St. Charles, MO, Dr. Edward Bickmeyer, can provide chiropractic care and other non-surgical back pain management techniques to relieve your agony.
What’s Behind Your Back Pain?
Many causes of back pain involve acute jolts to the spine, dislocating the joints that permit vertebral motion and causing herniated discs. Workplace incidents such as lifting injuries can tear muscles, strain tendons and sprain ligaments. Acute back pain from an auto accident may actually hide for quite some time due to the adrenaline pouring through your body, making it harder for you to identify its source when it finally hits.
Is your back pain the result of a progressive chronic disorder? Degenerative disc disease can cause back pain as spinal discs flatten and bulge due to lack of internal hydration. This flattening effect tugs on the spinal joints — and years of spinal joint inflammation can make you vulnerable to spinal arthritis. Other degenerative causes of back pain may include a vertebral misalignment called spondylolisthesis and a reduction of space within the spinal canal called spinal stenosis.
Chiropractic Care and Other Conservative Back Pain Management Techniques
Conservative care is always a more sensible starting point than surgery in your quest for back pain relief. Our St. Charles chiropractor at RiverTowne Family Chiropractic can examine your spine closely to discover the origin of your back pain. This enables us to administer a personalized mix of safe, non-surgical treatments such as:
- Chiropractic adjustments – Chiropractic adjustments can correct vertebral alignment and spinal joint configuration, relieving pain and stiffness in the back. Freedom from joint stiffness also allows you to adopt a more upright posture, which in turn reduces muscular strain,
- Spinal decompression – Spinal decompression therapy uses gentle flexion-distraction force to restore bulging or herniated discs to their normal position and height.
- Massage therapy – Massage therapy eases the tightness that produces muscle spasms and pain in the back. This natural healing modality also reduces inflammation and helps injured muscles recover.
- Physical therapy – Physical therapy can lend your back muscles greater flexibility for pain-free range of motion. Corrective exercises can also build your back muscles for easier spinal support.
- Physiotherapy – Physiotherapy techniques such as cold laser therapy and ultrasound therapy can soothe muscles and connective tissue in the back while helping them heal.
Call Our St. Charles Chiropractor for Pain Relief Today!
Don’t let back pain call the tune for your quality of life. Call our St. Charles chiropractor at 636-947-7463 to set up an appointment, and start getting the back pain relief you need!